This is a long post but PLEASE READ IT ALL.
I really hope everyone shows some decency and stop sharing the photograph of the child lying on the sea shore and other pictures to “wake” the “humanity of Europe” and elicit attention from activists. The prayers, support and articles are definitely required but please don’t share photographs so heartlessly. This obsession with sharing pictures of the dead, is deplorable beyond imagination. It’s counterproductive and will initially make us feel crushed and completely disheartened but eventually, it could have a numbing effect.
Instead of pointing fingers and tossing responsibility at others do YOUR part and pray for the best. Europe is helping, let us help them and the host country.
AND PLEASE STOP PHOTOSHOPPING AND MANIPULATING THE PICTURE. Please.
Instead of incessantly sharing such a sensitive and repulsive picture to make yourself feel good you could donate money to the many organizations that are helping refugees, you could share information regarding the refugee crisis and history of the war. Here are some ways to actually help instead of only feeding your ego and insensitively sharing the picture:
1. Doctors Without Borders is and organisation providing medical aid in and around Syria. If you call this number you can ensure your funds go directly to Syrian refugees 1-888-392-0392.
2. World Visions works in Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan to provide clean and sanitizing water. You can donate by calling 1-800-562-4453.
3. CARE operates multiple refugee centers in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon and you can donate to them by calling 1-800-521-CARE
4. World Food Program will provide food to Syrians and other refugees. Donate at http://www.wfp.org/
5. Islamic Relief USA is also providing food, water, and shelter and you can donate to them HERE.
6. You can also donate specifically for children which provides things such as diapers, clothing, and food.
7. You can donate to the U.N refugee agency HERE and HERE
8. You can purchase items on an Amazon wishlist specifically for the refugees stranded in Calais. HERE
9. You can sign the following petition to have more asylum seekers accepted in the U.K HERE. Alhumdullilah it has crossed 200k
10. Help the refugees stuck in the Balkans GET SHELTER
It breaks my heart to see that picture. Let’s do something about it. Do not reduce them to but a picture. Act now.